Sei in:  Home ,

Official Tourist Information Site of Imola's Area

Trebbiano di Romagna D.O.C.


Regional Designation of Origin

Trebbiano di Romagna DOC is produced with 85% of grapes coming from the Trebbiano vine variety. The remaining 15% is made up of white grape from authorized and recommended vine varieties in the provinces of Forlì-Cesena, Ravenna, Bologna and Rimini. The maximum production per hectare is 14 tons with a grape yield not higher than 70%. Trebbiano di Romagna has a more or less intense straw-yellow colour. The bouquet is winy and pleasant, the taste is dry, sapid, harmonic and well-balanced. The total minimum alcohol content of the is 11.5°. Best drunk young, it should be served at 10°C.
The sparkling type has a minimum alcohol content of 10.5% and it should be served at 8°C. The dry type is an excellent aperitif while the semi-sweet and sweet types marry well with all desserts.


Legal reference:
Trebbiano di Romagna received the Regional Designation of Origin by a Presidential Decree issued on 31 August 1973.

Production area :
It includes part of the provinces of Forlì-Cesena, Ravenna, Bologna and Rimini.

Food matches:
Served at 7-8°C, Trebbiano is an excellent aperitif. It also matches perfectly with oysters, seafood, mild meat, cold starters with vegetables and chicken salads. Trebbiano enhances all pasta dishes with a fish-based sauce but also fresh, slightly salty or sweet cheeses.

Historical and geographical information:
Trebbiano is first mentioned in Plinius’ “Natural History” as the “trebulanus” wine brought by the Roman legionaries. It is believed, however, that it was already known by the Etruscans. The first reliable source dates back to the 14th century, when Trebbiano is included in a list of wines kept at Palazzo della Signoria in Florence. According to historian Alberto Baronetto, this list was drawn up in 1364. This demonstrates that Trebbiano has been regarded as a refined wine suitable for important occasions since the 14th century.

Protection association:

Ente Tutela Vini di Romagna Garibaldi, 2 - 48018 Faenza (Ra) 
Tel. +39 0546 28455 - Fax +39 0546 665063

Comitato D.O.C. Colli d'Imola

via Boccaccio, 27 - 40026 Imola (BO) 
Tel.  +39 0542 602400 -  Fax +39 0542 602426


Related events:
"Calici di Stelle" (Wine under the stars) – Imola, Dozza, Fontanelice.
“Prova d’assaggio dei Vini dell’Imolese” a competition among the wines produced in Imola’s area. Wine tasting also takes place under the guide of professional sommeliers of A.I.S. (The Italian Association of Sommeliers). It is held during Baccanale, a festival featuring cultural initiatives as well as events related to wine and food.

Come arrivare nella località
Last update: 18-10-2013