Sei in:  Home ,

Official Tourist Information Site of Imola's Area

Sangiovese di Romagna D.O.C.


Regional Designation of Origin

Sangiovese di Romagna is made with at least 85% of grape coming from the Sangiovese vine variety. The remaining 15% is made up of red grape from vine varieties which are authorised and recommended in the provinces of Forlì-Cesena, Ravenna, Bologna and Rimini. The maximum production per hectare is 11 tons with a grape yield not higher than 65%. Sangiovese is a ruby-red wine with violet reflections. Its winy and delicate smell reminds of the violet. The bouquet is dry, harmonic, with a slightly bitter aftertaste. It should be served at 18°C and can be stored for 2-4 years. Presently, the Romagna region produces 6 million bottles of Sangiovese DOC which are exported throughout the world.


Legal reference:
Sangiovese di Romagna comes into the following typologies:

Superiore: it is not sold until April the first after the harvest. The total minimum alcohol content is 12%. The production area of Sangiovese Superiore is more restricted and includes only the most suitable areas.
Riserva: it is aged at least two years starting from January the first after the harvest.
Novello: it consists of at least 50% of wine obtained through carbonic fermentation, with a minimum alcohol content of 11%.

Production area :
It includes part of the provinces of Forlì-Cesena, Ravenna, Bologna and Rimini.

Food matches:
Sangiovese is traditionally served with meat in general, and particularly with roasts, boiled meat, stews, braises, game and grilled meat such as castrato (mutton).

Historical and geographical information:
Sangiovese was the first wine in Romagna to obtain the Regional Designation of Origin (D.O.C.) on July, 9th 1967. It is the most renowned wine of Romagna which, together with Tuscany, is the birthplace of Sangiovese. Its origins and its name are shrouded in mystery. Some believe it comes from “Sanctus Zeus”, the Roman god Jupiter, while others maintain that it derives from Monte Giove or Colle Jovis, a hill near Santarcangelo di Romagna. On the top of this hill there was a convent of friars surrounded by vineyards. The friars produced an excellent wine which was served to an important guest of the convent. When he asked for its name, they friars were taken aback and so they answered, “It is called Sanguis Jovis.” This name was so appreciated by everyone that still today this wine is called Sangiovese.

Protection association:

Ente Tutela Vini di Romagna Garibaldi, 2 - 48018 Faenza (Ra) 
Tel. +39 0546 28455 - Fax +39 0546 665063

Comitato D.O.C. Colli d'Imola

via Boccaccio, 27 - 40026 Imola (BO) 
Tel. +39 0542 602400 -  Fax +39 0542 602426


Related events:
"Calici di Stelle" (Wine under the stars) – Imola, Dozza, Fontanelice.

“Prova d’assaggio dei Vini dell’Imolese” a competition among the wines produced in Imola’s area. Wine tasting also takes place under the guide of professional sommeliers of A.I.S. (The Italian Association of Sommeliers). It is held during Baccanale, a festival featuring cultural initiatives as well as events related to wine and food. 

Come arrivare nella località
Last update: 18-10-2013