Sei in:  Home ,

Official Tourist Information Site of Imola's Area

Colli d'Imola Cabernet Sauvignon D.O.C.


Regional Designation of Origin

The Cabernet Sauvignon designation is attributed exclusively to wines produced with at least 85% of grape coming from the same-named vine variety. The remaining 15% is made up of red grape from vine varieties which are authorised and recommended in the Province of Bologna. Cabernet Sauvignon is a ruby-red, clear wine with garnet reflections if it is aged. The bouquet is winy and quite distinctive, the taste is full, dry and harmonic. The total minimum alcohol content is 11.5% and it should be served at 18°C. Cabernet Sauvignon also comes in the Riserva version. This designation is applied to wine which is aged also in wood barrels for at least 18 months starting from November the first after harvest.


Legal reference:
The DOC Colli d’Imola wines were established by a Decree on 1 July 1997.

Growing techniques:
The suitable soil is well-exposed, medium-texture and clayey, usually calcareous. Vineyards are allowed to be irrigated not more than twice a year. The maximum production per hectare is 9 tons with a grape yield not higher than 70%. The minimum number of plants per hectare is 3,330 (for the new vineyards).

Production area :
It includes the vine-growing areas located in the municipalities of Fontanelice, Borgo Tossignano, Casalfiumanese, Imola, Dozza, Castel San Pietro Terme and Ozzano dell’Emilia. As for the municipalities of Imola, Dozza, Castel San Pietro Terme and Ozzano dell’Emilia, the downstream boundary is marked by Highroad No. 9 Via Emilia.

Food matches:
Ideal with game from the woodland of the high Santerno Valley.

Historical and geographical information:
Cabernet Sauvignon was first imported in the province of Bologna by senator Pasolini dall’Onda who brought it to Imola in the mid 19th century. In this area, the first vineyards of Cabernet Sauvignon can be found in the estates of Count Pasolini and Sig. Baldrati in Imola and of Sig. Gurrieri in Dozza.

Protection association:

Ente Tutela Vini di Romagna Garibaldi, 2 - 48018 Faenza (Ra) 
Tel. +39 0546 28455 - Fax +39 0546 665063

Comitato D.O.C. Colli d'Imola
via Boccaccio, 27 - 40026 Imola (BO) 
Tel. +39 0542 602400 -  Fax +39 0542 602426


Related events:
"Calici di Stelle" (Wine under the stars) – Imola, Dozza, Fontanelice.

“Prova d’assaggio dei Vini dell’Imolese” a competition among the wines produced in Imola’s area. Wine tasting also takes place under the guide of professional sommeliers of A.I.S. (The Italian Association of Sommeliers). It is held during Baccanale, a festival featuring cultural initiatives as well as events related to wine and food. 

Come arrivare nella località
Last update: 18-10-2013