Sei in:  Home ,

Official Tourist Information Site of Imola's Area

Colli d'Imola Barbera D.O.C.


Regional Designation of Origin

The Barbera designation is applied exclusively to wines produced with at least 85% of grape coming from the same-named vine variety. The remaining 15% is made up of red grape from grape varieties which are authorised and recommended in the Province of Bologna. Barbera is an intensely coloured red wine with violet reflections. It has a winy and distinctive bouquet and a full, slightly sweet and harmonic taste. The total minimum alcohol content is 11.5% and it should be served at 18°C. Barbera also comes into a sparkling type.


Legal reference:
The DOC Colli d’Imola wines were established by a Decree on 1 July 1997.

Growing techniques:
The suitable soil is well-exposed, medium-texture and clayey, usually calcareous. Vineyards are allowed to be irrigated not more than twice a year. The maximum production per hectare is 10 tons with a grape yield not higher than 70%. The minimum number of plants per hectare is 3,330 (for the new vineyards).

Production area :
It includes the vine-growing areas located in the municipalities of Fontanelice, Borgo Tossignano, Casalfiumanese, Imola, Dozza, Castel San Pietro Terme and Ozzano dell’Emilia. As for the municipalities of Imola, Dozza, Castel San Pietro Terme and Ozzano dell’Emilia, the downstream boundary is marked by Highroad No. 9 Via Emilia.

Food matches:
In Castel San Pietro, Barbera is traditionally matched with grilled castrato (mutton chop) while the sparkling type is more suitable with cutlets.

Historical and geographical information:
Barbera is a rather recent grape variety as its origins date back to 1799. Its birthplace is uncertain, however, it is likely to be found in the Monferrato area, in Piedmont. It has been grown in the Bolognese area since a long time. In Romagna, it is cultivated throughout the hills, foothills and, sometimes, also in the flatlands.

Protection association:

Ente Tutela Vini di Romagna Garibaldi, 2 - 48018 Faenza (Ra) 
Tel. +39 0546 28455 - Fax +39 0546 665063


Comitato D.O.C. Colli d'Imola
via Boccaccio, 27 - 40026 Imola (BO)
Tel. +39 0542 602400 -  Fax +39 0542 602426


Related events:
"Calici di Stelle" (Wine under the stars) – Imola, Dozza, Fontanelice.

“Prova d’assaggio dei Vini dell’Imolese” a competition among the wines produced in Imola’s area. Wine tasting also takes place under the guide of professional sommeliers of A.I.S. (The Italian Association of Sommeliers). It is held during Baccanale, a festival featuring cultural initiatives as well as events related to wine and food.

Come arrivare nella località
Last update: 18-10-2013