Provincia di Bologna

Church of the Observance

 

The Church of the Observance of Saints Francesco and Anna dates back to 1731 and was part of the convent complex of the Minor Friars or Observant Friars. When religious orders were abolished following the Napoleonic invasions, the church continued to celebrate the Mass while the convent was turned into the new hospital.
The large façade features two rows of pilaster strips, a rounded gable and buttresses graced by pinnacles. On its western side stands the bell tower overlooking the Via S. Paolo and the Canal of Medicina and characterized by a tile roof.
Inside there is a vast and luminous nave, a transept and side altars alternating with lower arcades. The edifice's simple decoration is typical of the Franciscan churches and reflects a discreet Baroque style. The presbytery houses a fine wooden choir, an 18th century altarpiece depicting St. Francis and Ann and a frontal in scagliola. The altar of the right transept features a fine canvas by Alessandro Calvi.

 

Address: Via Saffi - 40059 Medicina (BO)

How to get there

How to get to Medicina

 

From via S. Vitale take via Libertà up to the crossing with via Saffi.

Info on the tourist location

 Tel.: +39 051 851154 (parrocchia di S.Mamante)

Last update: 19-09-2012
 

Edited by Area Imolese