Sei in:  Home ,

Official Tourist Information Site of Imola's Area

Church of the Assumption


Designed by Torreggiani around 1748, the church was built in later years and extended on behalf of the ancient Confraternity of the Assumption, in place of the old church next to the convent of the Carmelites (current town hall).
Today it is an urban passage, called "Voltone".
The building has a central plan, crowned by an octagonal dome lantern and a bell tower.
The front of the church has two rows connected by scrolls, three doors, large windows and a triangular pediment.
The volumes are typical of the Baroque style.
The very large internal spaces are due to the semi-spherical dome. The stuccoes of Torreggiani soften the doors and columns.
The two side altars have a Classic style. The left one was built in 1784.
The right altar is more Neoclassical.
The apse houses the niche of the Crucifixion, with angels by Massimiliano Putti, and the two statues of David, the prophets (with zither) and Isaiah (with the saw) made by Bernardo Bernardi.
The papier-mâché image of the crucifix, dating to the second half of the sixteenth century, has a great drama, and was greatly venerated in past centuries;
today, every year on Good Friday, the image is carried in solemn procession.


Address: P.zza A.Costa - 40059 Medicina (BO)

How to get there

How to get to Medicina


From via S. Vitale follow via Libertà up to the square.

Info on the tourist location

Tel.: +39 051 851154 (parrocchia di S.Mamante)

Last update: 19-09-2012