Sei in:  Home ,

Official Tourist Information Site of Imola's Area

Church of S. Maria del Sabbioso


The church of S. Maria del Sabbioso was erected in 1909, dividing the jurisdiction of the parish of St. Mary of Dozza, and the parish of St. Lawrence.
The old church was in poor condition, so a new church was built and inaugurated in October 1924.

In 1574, thanks to the offers of the community of Dozza and many devotees, a church was built and the wall painted with the Madonna and Child was placed inside it.
This wall painting was then put above the altar.

A convent for the Carmelite friars was built beside the church in 1576. They remained there until 1783.
In 1908 Bishop Baldassari bought it and erected the parish in 1909, providing it with a fund of over thirteen acres.

Inside the church there is a beautiful organ built in 1679 by Charles Traeri, originally intended for the abbey church of St. Mary's Rule in Imola, and then transported to Toscanella in 1892.
The organ has undergone at several restorations: in the 18th century by John Chianei, in 1924 by Di Pietro di Teramo, then in 1989 by Pier Paolo Bigi.
It is enclosed by a finely carved box, divided into three bays with fake "dead organs" and placed in the choir loft above the entrance door.


Address: Via Emilia, 76 - 40060 Dozza (BO)

Opening hours: Mass at 7.00 am

How to get there

How to get to Dozza

Info on the tourist location

Tel.: +39 0542 672306 (Parrocchia)

Last update: 14-09-2012