Sei in:  Home ,

Official Tourist Information Site of Imola's Area

Parish Church of the Holy Heart


The history of this church is incomplete.

It seems that Marquis Virgilio Malvezzi had built it in 1462, four years after the creation of the county.

The church was located within the walls of the castle.

Its original façade can be seen in a drawing by Danti (1578).

It had a four-arcades portico and two sets of steps ensured the access.
Between 1799 and 1802, Senator Piriteo Malvezzi entrusted Angelo Venturoli, the most popular architect of the time, with the project for a new church.

The sudden death of Marquis Malvezzi prevented Venturoli from building the bell tower, that was part of its project for a larger parish complex.

The bell tower's construction began only in 1832 and ended in 1887. It features the typical elements of the Bolognese style.

The façade of the parish church overlooks the main street of the town. It houses several remarkable paintings and sculptures.


Address: Piazza XX Settembre, 1 - 40023 Castel Guelfo (BO)

Opening hours: Sundays at 8.00 am and 10.30 am during the Mass.

How to get there

How to get to Castel Guelfo di Bologna

Info on the tourist location

Tel.: +39 0542 53145 (parish church)

Last update: 05-10-2012