Provincia di Bologna

Ponte Alidosi

 

Andrea Gurrieri built the Alidosi Bridge over the Santerno River in 1499, on Obizzo Alidosi's order.
Apart from connecting the two banks, it was a symbol of the Alidosi family's sway. It is a masterpiece of civil engineering as confirms a local saying: "There is only one Pope, only one God and only one Castel del Rio's bridge".
It is a humpbacked and single-span bridge stretching along 42 m and rising 19 m.
The bridge's abutments contain a few different-sized rooms with a defensive function.
The bridge underwent various changes: in 1642, in 1698-99 and in 1725 to repair the damages provoked by an earthquake. Lastly, it was restored and strengthened in the 50s. It has been national monument since 20 November 1817.

 

Address: Via Ponte Alidosi - 40022 Castel del Rio (BO)

How to get there

How to get to Castel del Rio

 

The bridge is located 700 metres away from the stop. It can be reached also by car running along highroad Montanara until Castel del Rio. When your reach Palazzo Alidosi (situated at the town entrance on the right) turn left taking via Ponte Alidosi which leads directly to the bridge.

Info on the Tourist location

Pro Loco Alidosiana

Piazza Repubblica, 96 - 40022 Castel del Rio (BO)
Tel: +39 339 7405687;

info@casteldelrioproloco.it - www.casteldelrioproloco.it

 

URP - Ufficio Relazioni con il Pubblico del Comune di Castel del Rio

Via Montanara 1 - 40022 Castel del Rio (BO)
Tel: +39 0542 95906; Fax: +39 0542 95313

 

Last update: 20-09-2012
 

Edited by Area Imolese