Sei in:  Home ,

Official Tourist Information Site of Imola's Area

Sant'Ambrogio Vescovo parish church


The earliest news concerning the church dates back to 1078. The current building was probably erected in 1555 on the initiative of Nicholas and Rizzardo Alidosi to replace the old church that had become too small.
It seems that the material of the old church was used to build the new temple, which had a singlewide nave and the roof beams.

The church was rebuilt in the 19th century: the chancel was extended and converted, the apse with vaulted ceiling was added, three bells and a clock were placed in the bell tower made of brick and sandstone (1876-1887).

Between 1905 and 1907, the church was once again transformed: it was floored with colored cement tiles, the altar of grit, the iron balustrades of the side altars and the stairway entrance were rebuilt.
 In 1599, a beautiful altarpiece stood at the end of the choir behind the altar, but it disappeared a century later.

The church houses the statue of the Madonna del Carmine by Graziani from Faenza, a "Holy Family" by Cignani and furniture dating back to 17th century.


Address: Piazza della Repubblica - 40022 Castel del Rio (BO)

Opening hours: 5.00 pm (Rosary and Mass)

How to get there

How to get to Castel del Rio


The church is in the main square of the town.

Info on the Tourist location

Pro Loco Alidosiana

Piazza Repubblica, 96 - 40022 Castel del Rio (BO)
Tel: +39 339 7405687; -


URP - Ufficio Relazioni con il Pubblico del Comune di Castel del Rio

Via Montanara 1 - 40022 Castel del Rio (BO)
Tel: +39 0542 95906; Fax: +39 0542 95313


Last update: 14-09-2012