Provincia di Bologna

Church of St. Jerome from Tossignano

 

The church of St. Jerome is in the town centre of Tossignano.

It dates back to the beginning of the 15th century but the date of building is still unknown.

Some devotees of the Saint created it to enlarge the oratory on the first half of the 15th century. It was soon used not only for religious services, but also for the councils of the community and special events such as the act of faithfulness to Pope Julius II, who had stopped in Tossignano on 19 October 1506 during his trip to Bologna.

The church was restored between 1988 and 1993 and features a Neo-classical facade (1708) designed by Ercole Tibaldi.

The inside has maintained the single-aisled architectural structure with two small side-chapels.

In the first chapel on the left there is an altarpiece by Giacomo Zampa depicting the Madonna venerated by Giovanni Tavelli the Blessed and a view of the town with the ruins of the fortress in the backdrop.

Here take place the opera concerts of the "From Bach to Bartok" festival, organized by the Municipality of Imola. 

 

Address: Piazza Andrea Costa - 40021 Borgo Tossignano (BO)

How to get there

How to get to Borgo Tossignano.

 

Drive along via XX Settembre, which connects Borgo and Tossignano and leads to the central square of the town, where a small parking area is available.

Info on the tourist location

Tel.: +39 0542 91331 ; +39 0542 90046

Last update: 04-09-2012
 

Edited by Area Imolese