Sei in:  Home ,

Official Tourist Information Site of Imola's Area

Tossignano fortress

 

The fortress is located in the high part of the town, which offers a splendid view of the Santerno valley. It dates back to 1256 when the Bolognese, who owned the country around Imola, had an imposing fortress built on the ruins of previous fortresses. Between 1493 and 1494, Caterina Sforza fortified the building and in 1527 it passed to the rule of Ricciardo Alidosi as one of his feuds. Between 1537 and 1538, the inhabitants of Imola destroyed the fortress after Pope Paul III's will.
In 1944 (and until 1945) it was the background of harsh fights along the Gothic line. In 1970, some volunteers brought to light the ruins of the fortress. A door of a round bastion of the castle is left (St. Francis door), together with a stretch of curtain, the base of a square tower of the fortress (built in 1256 after the Bolognese' will) and traces of the rounds in the inside.

 

Address: via Nuova - 40021 Borgo Tossignano (BO)

Opening hours: saturday 2.30 pm - 5.30 pm

Opening period: all year round

How to get there

How to get to Borgo Tossignano

 

By car only. Run along the new road up to the lay-by area where parking places are available; then a small path leads to the seat of the ruins.

Info on the tourist location

Tel.: +39 0542 90220

centrovisite@santerno.it

Last update: 20-09-2012