Sei in:  Home ,

Official Tourist Information Site of Imola's Area

Sanctuary of the Holy Crucified


The Sanctuary dedicated to the Holy Crucified stands in the heart of the city, overlooking the main square since 1741.

Inside there is a highly venerated image of the Crucified, which dominates the church from its niche in the apse.

The Society of the Blessed Sacrament received it in 1543. 

Over time, the inhabitants' veneration of this picture increased and by 1629, when it was carried in procession for the first time, this tradition has continued and strengthened.

By that time, every year on the fifth Sunday of Lent the "Feast of the Cross" celebrates the sacred image of the Crucified with religious rituals and a procession through the streets of the city.

Thanks to the image of the Crucified, in 1708 the pilgrimage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Loreto began.
First with wagons pulled by oxen, then by train, buses and coaches, pilgrimages have followed to that day (the last on April 25th, 2001) motivated by exceptional circumstances and particular, to escape natural disasters, or to implore ' Our Lady's intercession for events such as the end of the last century or in gratitude for the end of the war (1947).

Many prodigious facts happened (grants, healings) and were assigned to the sacred image, so that dozens of votive pictures depicting scenes and tragedies survived and miraculous healings are still preserved in a local shrine.
After its completion in 1741, the sanctuary was remodeled in 1834 and amended later.

However, the main transformation took place in early 1900 by Don Roberto Salieri, rector of the Shrine for 56 years, until 1952, when he died.
At that time, the sanctuary was lengthened: the new apse was created for the crucifix; painted the church; the sacristy with an expanded space for the crib; raised the porch outside, which was adorned with a statue of Jesus Christ by Cleto Tomba and some saints; the bell tower was built in 1930, which was placed inside the carillon of 55 bells.
It is an original invention of Giulio Gollini: 55 bells, located at various levels at the top of the tower, operated by a solenoid mechanism set at the base of the structure.

The bells operated by a keyboard like a piano emit a sound harmonious and beautiful, unique, often accompanying the Corps Band concert on festivals and celebrations. The notes of the Carillon also announce the arrival of noon with classical music or religious reasons suitably arranged, depending on time of year.

Inside the Sanctuary, you can see fine paintings, a chapel dedicated to the statue of beautiful wrought-iron railings with bronze bas-reliefs, as well as two bodies, one of which dates back to 1700 while the other was made in 1928.

The latter has recently been restored and made functional again.


Address: Piazza xx Settembre - 40024 Castel San Pietro Terme (BO)

Opening hours: from 8.00am to 12.00 am
Closing days: every afternoon in weekdays and holidays
Enrty ticket: free entry

How to get there

How to get to Castel San Pietro Terme


The Sanctuary overlooks Piazza XX Settembre next to the Town Hall. 

Learn more

The Sanctuary houses several paintings and bas-reliefs (in the ceiling) while the sacristy contains a valuable "Pietà" in terracotta.

Info on the tourist location

Tel.: +39 051 941183 (Parrocchia)

Fax: +39 051 948060 (Parrocchia)


Last update: 04-10-2012