Provincia di Bologna

Church of San Michele and Osservanza convent

 
Church of San Michele
Church of San Michele

The church is part of the complex of the Observance, which also includes the Sanctuary of the Blessed Virgin of the Graces. The name derives from the Observant Friars, who settled in Imola in the 15th century.

The church was terminated in 1472 and a few years later the cloisters and the chapels were added, which were in origin separated by a wall demolished in 1940 to make a single side-aisle.

The front is very simple whereas the round arches of the arcade are decorated with seraph heads.
Under the arcade there are three funeral monuments, among which the most interesting is the one dedicated to Bianca Landriani, sister of Caterina Sforza.
On the right of the church there is the first cloister dating back to 1478, characterised by harmonious lines and slim, high columns.

The Franciscan minor friars, keepers of the complex, use the second cloister so the visit is not available there.

 

Address: via Venturini, 2 - 40026 Imola (BO)

Opening hours: from 8.00am to 6.00pm

Entry tickets: free tickets

How to get there

How to get to Imola

 

The church is in the town centre next to the Rocca Sforzesca.
From the tollgate follow the directions to the town centre then to the "Rocca Sforzesca" (Fortress), which is near the church.
From the train station take the city bus "Circolare Verde" (n. 3) and get off at the "Bianconcini" stop.

The church is in the parallel street towards south.

Info on the tourist location

Tel: +39 0542 23572

Last update: 16-10-2013
 

Edited by Area Imolese