Sei in:  Home ,

Official Tourist Information Site of Imola's Area

Church of Saints Nicolò and Domenico

Church of Saints Nicolò and Domenico
Church of Saints Nicolò and Domenico

The church is part of the homonymous convent complex, now called Municipal Picture-gallery, and the apse is on Rambaldi public gardens.

The history of the church is linked to the Order of the Dominicans, who started to build the church and the convent in 1280.

The Gothic-style church, terminated in 1374, remained unchanged until the restoration works of the 17th and 18th centuries which lead to the substitution of all the Gothic elements of the inside.
The only memory of the old aspect of the church is brought by the 1340 portal by Iacopo da Cereto and by the rose window on the front.
In the apse there is the panel by Ludovico Carracci called "Saint Orsola among the Martyr Mates" (1600).

The wooden choir dates back to the second half of the 16th century and a door on the right of the presbytery leads to an ogival chapel belonging to the primitive building and bearing on its walls some interesting Gothic-style frescos of the 14th century.


Address: via Quarto, 5 - 40026 Imola (BO)

How to get there

How to get to Imola


The church in the town centre.
From the tollgate follow the directions to the town centre.
From the railway station go straight on towards the town centre until the clock tower; then turn right into Via Emilia and after about 100 metres turn right again into via Orsini.

The first turning on the left is Via Quarto.

Learn more

The church is part of the homonymous convent complex, which is of the same period of the church and was widened in the 14th and 15th centuries, when the primitive convent was raised of one floor and two four-sided porticos were built.

In 1797 the convent was destined to be used as a station for the Napoleonic troops and thus its function as a convent was terminated.
Nowadays the first cloister is seat of the Municipal Picture-gallery and the present restoration works will allow the retrieval of the second cloister, which will be used as a museum as well.

Info on the tourist location

tel: +39 0542 23443

Last update: 16-10-2013